TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Check out these bores...what ya think?
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Check out these bores...what ya think?

Posted by Tech@EPR on June 21, 2015 at 10:52 PM
  This message has been viewed 318 times.

In Reply To Check out these bores...what ya think? posted by Matt300ZXT on June 19, 2015 at 01:19 PM

Message Hate to say it but thats detonation. This was an engine I built a few years ago that for its ENTIRE life was beat on relentlessly. The customer parted out his car and Matt picked up the short block from a 3rd party. Unfortunately this engine was not taken care of it seems and as mentioned above was beat on very heavily. It stayed in the 700whp range all the time. This car/engine never saw light duty. This unfortunate situation is a direct result of a bad tune and or not taking care of this assembly.

Your video Matt shows the detonation damage at the tail end of the video where you've pretty much spun the piston full circle. Its about a 1-2" long strip area on the very top of the top ring land that looks melted/shiny. That is the damaged area of the piston that experienced detonation. I put enough bore clearance in the blocks so that its a little forgiving and allows for the pistons to taken some abuse but detonation ruins any and everything no matter how good its built. The marks are too high up in the bore for it to be ring damage. Rings on wiseco pistons are at minimum .500-.750 below the deck of the piston and the damage you have shown is at the very top of the bores where rings simply do not operate nor can reach within the cylinder bore. Its unfortunate but I think you got your moneys worth just in acquiring the components alone. Its a shame the engine was let go to such a demise. I did a lot of work on that assembly and it made phenomenal power on 2530s

Here is the entire build album for the engine when I built it.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.822526177842147.1073741857.321120894649347&type=3

Ep Racing | Create Your Badge

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.